The latest version of the well-known R828D dongle from RTL-SDR.com: the V4 version. This dongle had an SMA connector and receives from as low as 500KHz.
• Includes 1x RTL-SDR Blog brand R828D RTL2832U 1PPM TCXO HF Bias Tee SMA Dongle (V4)
• Great for many applications including general radio scanning, air traffic control, public safety radio, ADSB, AIS, ACARS, trunked radio, P25 digital voice, POCSAG, weather balloons, APRS, NOAA APT weather satellites, radio astronomy, meteor scatter monitoring, DAB, or for use as a low cost panadapter with a traditional ham radio.
• Several improvements over generic brands including use of the R820T2 tuner, improved component tolerances, a 1 PPM temperature compensated oscillator (TCXO), SMA F connector, aluminium case with thermal pad for passive cooling, software activatable bias tee circuit.
• Can tune from 500 kHz to 1.7 GHz and has up to 3.2 MHz (2.4 MHz stable) of instantaneous bandwidth. (HF reception below 24 MHz runs in direct sampling mode)
• Uses a SMA female antenna port. Please note that this is the dongle only, no antennas are included.
This is an RTL-SDR software defined radio receiver with RTL2832U ADC chip, 1PPM TCXO, SMA F connector, R820T2 tuner and aluminium case with passive cooling. Tunes from 500 kHz to 1.7 GHz with up to 3.2 MHz (2.4 MHz stable) of instantaneous bandwidth. (HF mode works in direct sampling mode – V3 models and above only). Perfect for use as a computer based radio scanner with free software like SDR#, HDSDR, SDR-Radio, Linrad, GQRX or SDR Touch on Android. Works on Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android and even embedded Linux computers like the Raspberry Pi.
Great for many applications including general radio scanning, air traffic control, public safety radio, ADS-B aircraft radar, AIS boat radar, ACARS, trunked radio, P25/MotoTRBO digital voice, POCSAG, weather balloons, APRS, NOAA APT weather satellites, Meteor M2 satellites, radio astronomy, meteor scatter monitoring, DAB, or for use as a low cost panadapter with a traditional ham radio.
This model has several improvements over other models. It uses the improved R828D tuner, comes with a 1PPM TCXO (no drift and accurate tuning with a 2 PPM initial offset and 1 PPM temperature drift), improved component tolerances, redesigned PCB, cooling improvements, extra ESD protection and an SMA F connector. It also comes with a software activatable bias-tee circuit for powering external devices such as LNA’s and active antennas. Full info available on the improvement datasheet here goo.gl/JTNPrb
Requires a USB 2.0 Port and works on most USB 3.0 ports. Installation on Windows is simple. Please go to our free RTL-SDR Quickstart Guide at rtl-sdr.com/QSG for installation instructions. For custom antennas please note that this dongle uses an SMA F connector (note not RP-SMA).
The V4 comes with several improvements and changes that are listed below.
- Improved HF Reception. Now uses a built in upconverter instead of using a direct sampling circuit. This means no more Nyquist folding of signals around 14.4 MHz, improved sensitivity, and adjustable gain on HF. Like the V3, the lower tuning range remains at 500 kHz and very strong reception may still require front end attenuation/filtering.
- Improved filtering. The V4 makes use of the R828D tuner chip, which has three inputs. We triplex the SMA input into three bands, HF, VHF and UHF. This provides some isolation between the three bands, meaning out of band interference from strong broadcast stations is less likely to cause desensitization or imaging.
- Improved Filtering x2. In addition to the triplexing, we are also making use of the open drain pin on the R828D, which allows us to add simple notch filters for common interference bands such as broadcast AM, broadcast FM and the DAB bands. These only attenuate by a few dB, but may still help.
- Improved phase noise on strong signals. Due to an improved power supply design, phase noise from power supply noise has been significantly reduced.
- Less heat. Due to the improved power supply design the V4 uses slightly less current and generates slightly less heat compared to the V3.